Monday, March 15, 2010

Snippets

Last week was busy and this week promises to be even busier.  So where do I start?  Why not with this wonderful and unexpected RAK?

SAM_0076

A little while back when I showed the socks I was knitting for my friend Lucie’s son in one of my posts, Julie had commented that she wished she could knit a pair for herself but didn’t know how to knit.  To make a long story short, I sent Julie a pair of socks that I had made and she in turn sent me this incredible mini quilt that she had made.  I was speechless when I opened Julie’s parcel because I had just promised myself that I was going to start making some mini quilts for myself.  Thanks a million, Julie.  Yours will always be number one in my collection!

carrots

I’ve been making some progress on my BBD needle case as well, but because of all the running around we’ve been doing, things aren’t moving along as quickly as I would like…but I’m thoroughly enjoying the journey.

SAM_0100

We managed to squeeze in a day trip to Fibre Junction, a quilt shop in Rouses Point, NY.   Of course I couldn’t leave empty-handed and managed to stimulate the state’s economy ‘just a little’ while I was there.

SAM_0089

I bought some Kansas Troubles fabric that was on sale,  along with some Civil War fabric that was calling my name.  Two books managed to find their way to the check out as well, one of them featuring only mini quilts.

carrots

On another day while we were out running the roads and visiting friends, my girlfriend Pat asked me if I would be interested in taking a short drive to visit a country/prim shop.  Well of course I didn’t want to disappoint her by saying no…cough, cough, sputter, sputter…so off we went, leaving our husbands behind, of course.  Because we arrived shortly before closing and time was of the essence, I only managed to buy this hand hooked wool rug with a penny design which now sits happily in front of my kitchen sink.

SAM_0095

We will be returning to Olde Porch Primitives on Friday of next week to pick up the items that I had the owner put aside for me.

carrots

In the interim, we found another stone house.  This particular house was built in 1840 and is situated in a rural setting on three gorgeous acres.  The house has been professionally restored yet retains all of it’s original charm.  I am trying to not get my hopes up but we have been back to see it three times and are waiting to have our  current house appraised before making an offer.  It promises to be a ‘sitting on pins and needles’ kinda week.

Happy stitching!

Kaaren ♥

32 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I hope that dream house becomes a reality for you! blessings, marlene P.S. love the rug!

Nanette Merrill said...

The mini is lovely. It is fun to have friends to exchange things with isn't it.

Annette said...

I love the colors for your needlecase. It is just so beautiful. I hope your house works out for you. Sounds like a great house!

Pat said...

OMGoodness I thought that you were lost out there some where. Your needle roll is coming along nicely. Love your new rug. Your mini quily is beautiful. Is your prim shop in the US or Canada? I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Susannah said...

Hi there, Kaaren.....I hope things work out for the "stone house". I know how much you love them! So do I!

Your work is exquisite...I love to come and read your blog. Thank you, Kaaren.

Friends,
Susannah

Carrie P. said...

Hope the house buying and selling works out. I remember the house you saw last year and didn't work out.
How mini is the mini quilt? A very nice surprise.
Your cross stitch is coming along nicely.

Quilts And Pieces said...

What a wonderful small quilt to start your collection with!

julieQ said...

Your stitchery is wonderful, you have gotten so much done. I am praying for you a stone house...just the right one for you. I hope you love the mini, it is very special.

Taryn said...

Love your post. Good luck with the house. A stone house...sigh...

Diane H said...

Fingers and toes crossed for you about the stonehouse. We all want you to get one so we can see how beautifully you will decorate it and it can become our dream house too. Your quilt from Julie is a wonderful gift.

Abby and Stephanie said...

What a wonderful swap!!! Fingers crossed on the stone cottage. Just the name...Stone Cottage sounds lovely.

Mimi said...

What a great Primitive shop. I wish I lived near it. Also, I will cross my fingers for you on that stone house. Sounds like a dream.

Anonymous said...

To Julie...I like Kaaren's mini.

To Kaaren - - lucky gal!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I think RAK's are wonderful. and your needlecase looks wonderful.
I so hope your dream house becomes a reality!

Gayle said...

I used one of the designs in your Fat Quarter Quilt book from Lori Smith for a hooked rug - turned out awesome!

Anonymous said...

A stone house on 3 acres, I will cross my fingers for you. How wonderful when it works out for you. I just adore the needle case. You know, you can never have enough needle cases and such.
Good Luck,
Bobbie

Darlee said...

Perfect... I wish the best for you and will envision you living in a stone house!! And, I love your new blog header, so inspiring!!

Joanne said...

It has been a while since I dropped by so I was totally impressed with your progress with the x-stitch. It is so pretty !!!

Pieced Pastimes said...

The miniature quilt is lovely and what a nice surprise! I love the rug and your needle case is going to be wonderful! If the stone house was meant to be, it will happen!

Jantine said...

Love the little quilt. Lucky you! And a new house maybe... that is an exciting journey, hope it works out!

Allie said...

That little quilt is just stunning - what a lovely gift! Love all your treasures, you're doing great on your needlecase, and I surely do hope you get that house - nothing thrills my heart like a stone house!

Bertie said...

Love the BBD and you have progressed quite a bit, the mini quilt is gorgeous, lucky you!!

Stina Blomgren said...

Kaaren Kaaren ...lucky you.. Julies wonderful quilt is wonderful... I have already admired it on her blog.. some time ago.. and loved it... Love Kim Diehls patterns..:o)
And your stitchery is beautiful.... you have come a long way.. Love the books too.. have them both..:o)
But best of all was to hear about the house.. I cross my fingers for you..:o) HUGS

Deb said...

I hope that the house works out for you. It sounds like it will be wonderful. Love that rug - I would definitely have to make a trip back to that store.

And your WIP is looking wonderful. You've really made a lot of progress on it even though things have been busy!

Deb said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that gift of the quilt - wonderful. I think I would have been besides myself to receive. It's so pretty!

Janet said...

Wow what an exciting week. What a treasure the small quilt is. Love your recent purchases but I can't take eyes off your cross stitching. I bet I buckle and get that pattern before too much longer. Good luck on the house.

Siobhán said...

I'm crossing my fingers & toes for you on the stone house! A stone house--oh, to dream! What a gorgeous quilt! It's beautiful. I love your progress on the BBD, too.

fireythreads said...

hope you get the house and look forward to watching you decorate it . I love the print and style of your blog it is so much better than a plain print blog thanks for sharing your life with us all

Villa-loredana said...

Hello dear, a long time since I was visiting you, enyod in your lasts posts,by me in old Europe a trip to EU, and a lot of foto, and soon a new post. Regards. Loredana

Villa-loredana said...

Hello dear, a long time since I was visiting you, enyod in your lasts posts,by me in old Europe a trip to EU, and a lot of foto, and soon a new post. Regards. Loredana

Cathi said...

What a lovely RAK!!
I love how your needlecase is coming along. That is going to be stunning.
I'll keep my fingers crossed on the stone house.

Katherine said...

I just discovered your wonderful blog and your FFF. Thank you so much for sharing your talents! I will have lots of fun stitching them.

Katherine