Sunday, March 10, 2013

When my hands are busy...

I'm a happy camper stitcher!

We're ten days into the month and I feel like I have accomplished so much already.

I finished my March scrappy quilt challenge way ahead of schedule.



Every month on the Small Quilt Talk forum, Kathy challenges us to make a small quilt from one of her four books.  The goal is to have twelve small quilts completed by the end of the year.  It is not necessary to participate every month and it is up to each individual to make as many or as few as wanted.  

If you're thinking that you might like to join in or find out more about it, click HERE.



I'm also participating in a mystery quilt BOM that is designed by my friend Darlene who also happens to be the President of our Fundy Tide quilting guild.
Hers is a little different from the traditional BOM in that she started with a center medallion to which a new design is added to the perimeter every month.  

This is mine with the first two months completed made entirely from Civil War and reproduction fabrics...


  
and here is Darlene's including the third row.



Isn't it gorgeous?

For this month, Darlene elected to add machine appliqued feathers to the third row.  Of course I wanted to get started on mine right away but when I started to go through my stash to pull some green fabrics, I found that I was direly lacking in greens.

So what's a gal to do?



Go shopping, of course!

Yesterday morning, Mr. Painted Quilt, Ollie and I headed off to my NSLQS (not-so-local quilt shop) and here's the green fabric I purchased...



And to make the trip worthwhile, I also purchased some 30 wt embroidery thread for the machine applique as well as a new seam ripper...just in case.  

This will be my first attempt at machine applique so I thought that I'd better be prepared in the event that I am faced with the worse case scenario...and you all know what that means.  Perish the thought!



I can't wait to get started!

It's never too late to join in.  Darlene posts each new segment on her blog every month on the night after our guild meeting.  Her instructions are easy to follow and are accompanied by step-by-step photos.  Click HERE if you'd like to have a look.



I've also managed to add the fifth row to my Grandmother's Flower Garden and just started another.

I'm determined to have the top completed by the end of April...in the year 2013!  *wink*  



And what do Ollie and Frankie think of it all?


Yawn!  Zzzzzzzzzz.


38 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

You have been one busy girl! so much accomplished

All the quilts are beautiful

antique quilter said...

wow you have been busy I guess snow days are good in some ways right? LOL
Love your new little quilt and of course love the shoes on them but the quilt it is on top has me in AWE and curious to see more!
think I may just have to make a little quilt like that soon. Love KT's books and quilts.
your making progress even if they are bored I am NOT keep going you will have it done in April, maybe :)
Kathie
good luck with the machine embroidery !

Saskia Smit said...

I love Darlenes work. Very nice.

Bertie said...

The mini quilts are fabulous Kaaren, I have read about Kathleen's venture and will have a go sometime this year!
The quilts you show ar beatiful;)

Darlene D said...

Looks like a trip to Avonport?? Nice fabrics! I'm sure you'll have very little need of that seam ripper! Your little quilt looks great! Here you are showing yours to the world, and I'm still thinking about mine lol.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I can't wait to see your Grandmother's Flower garden finished. I'll be patient. I took a machine applique class many moons ago from a wonderful teacher. I did one large quilt. The end. I guess I just don't like the prep work. Best of luck. Somehow I think you'll master is easily.

Lesley said...

What a wonderful Sunday morning post! Very inspirational and full of such gorgeous projects! Love your little scrappy, especially with the dark border. Darlene's Mystery quilt is coming along really well and looks beautiful in the CW and repro fabrics. As to your GFG, it is breath taking! Like Darlene says,why the seam ripper?

Barb said...

What a cute little quilt for March! Love your hexie project too.

Cindy said...

I, too, just love Darlene's Mystery Quilt. Yesterday I prepared fabric for the GO and now have decided that maybe I need a couple greens rather than just one. Thinking on that idea today.

Oh my, i like your small quilt. i really am going to have to take a look a the link you shared to learn more about what it is that you're participating in, and about the books.

You'll have that machine appliqué mastered in no time. Kaaren, I cannot remember, what machine do you sew with?

Here we are 10 days into March, as you said, and all I've got accomplished is a lot of mending. One more dress shirt to mend and I can "play" in my sewing room.

Hugs to a dear person

Anonymous said...

It's like eye candy visiting here today. Of course I'm loving your mini! Also I've been watching the quilt Darlene has going and saw that appliqué which really adds interest...alas I haven't played along because of the move and now fabric in many heavy bins....not fun to find pieces if you know what I mean. I'm trying to finish up stuff I've started, tops I hadn't quilted and work on kits that I know are together and easy to find. Lol

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Your Quilts look fabulous Kaaren.
Love you threads too. I think I am due for a shopping outing soon :)
Have a great Sunday.
~Janet

Angie said...

Wow, girl, you are one busy quilter---they are all so lovely.

Pieced Pastimes said...

Busy hands make me happy and you have been very busy! Love the picture of Ollie and Frankie. They look so peaceful and content.
Take Care,
Suzanne
Pieced Pastimes

Marg said...

You have been busy. Love the colours you use. Just beautiful. Look forward to seeing the quilt grow. So tempting. As are the little quilts - a but time poor at the moment, but enjoying yours!.

Kim Brackett said...

You must be a VERY happy stitcher! I love the projects you're working on.

gracie said...

So busy and all of it beautiful...I do appreciate Frankie and Ollie's idea....

Darlene said...

Love your little quilt - it's darling.

Wow, wow you've been a busy girl.

Susannah said...

Hi Kaaren, Love your fur-buddies!!!! My, you are the busy one. Whatever you do is beautiful! I always look forward to see all of your wonderful projects.

Susannah

Deb said...

You have been very busy with wonderful things. I am loving your Grandmother's Flower Garden and what fun to go to the quilt store. Funny how we're travel near and far to go after fabric.

Jocelyn said...

You certainly have been a busy gal :-) And it looks like the boys have been hard at work too!

Candace said...

Happy stitching is what it's all about, Kaaren! That is unless you're Frankie and Ollie and snoozing is the name of the game! I love your quilt and Darlene's - what a great program - I might have to jump on board with this one!
Cheers!

kathyinozarks said...

All I can say is Wow!! and another Wow! good for you Kathy

Janet O. said...

Your small quilt is precious!
I love seeing your progress on the Grandmother's Flower Garden. I just pretend that is me making progress on mine and it makes me feel better. : )
Ollie and Frankie are my kind of guys!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That little HST quilt is just lovely AND your mystery quilt is turning out so cute - what an interesting center! Then you have that GFG almost finished - wow. You are amazing.

Kindred Quilts said...

Goodness, you have been busy! Lovely scrap triangle quilt, and your flower garden quilt is coming along beautifully! Always fun to make a run to a quilt shop for more fabric... have fun with the machine applique!

Merilyn said...

The March scrappy 'uglies' turned out beautifully, I saw it on SQT, and I do love your choice of the black border!!! Those hexies are looking great, love watching this grow!!!! I look forward to seeing the applique border on you new BOM, I'm always a bit nervous about applique too, LOL! I love the simplicity of this quilt so far, I'm sure you'll do a great job with your leaf pieces!! Have a great week!!!!

annie said...

all very beautiful, I love her color choices! And yours!

Sherri said...

Just a question about the grandmother's flower garden...are you adding the white hexies as you go...or did you completely surround some of the flowers with white to begin with and leave others plain?

Hands Sew Full said...

Busy indeed! I love all the finishes and the WIP's. I must find some stitching time.

Janet said...

You've done a whole lot of wonderful things for the month. I love the small quilt and the medallion is off to a great start.
Happy stitching with the machine.

Jenny's Place Online said...

Looks like you are having fun... don't let it stop!! :) Happy crafting, Jenny

Unknown said...

I have a hexagon quilt the size that is shown above. I want to finsh it that size but do not know how to go about it.Does one applique it to a background? or what?
Stella

Pam in IL said...

Your quilts look fantastic! How fun to go shopping again. Hoping the new seam ripper will stay in it's package.

Denise said...

Thanks for your kind comment!
I'm making feathers too, fortunately (or unfortunately!) I had a good numbers of green.
Happy quinlting!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

So many wonderful goodies!!! If only I knew how to quilt. ugh.
I'll just enjoy looking at yours!!!
Happy Quilting!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Nanette Merrill said...

You can't beat hand quilting. I love your challenge quilt. LOVE.

Marie said...

That is the sweetest picture of Ollie and Frankie. :D

I love all of the quilt pictures. I am impressed with that hand quilted little gem, beautiful.

You are quite a productive crafter.

garigo said...

Que de beautés!